When Research is Fun

The setting for the series … The Mulleins of Katherine Bay

Recently my DH and I bought a new caravan…to make it easy for me to do research for my rural romance novels of course… So this last weekend we set off for a trial run around The Coromandel Peninsular …. the setting for my series … The Mulleins of Katherine Bay.   Katherine Bay is a fictitious town that reflects the real time growth of tourism in this pristinely beautiful  area of New Zealand…and all the resultant pressures development brings.
It gives me a lot of pleasure to give readers a visual to go with my stories …..
In Book I … Shadow Dance …
coromandel 026Jenna Mullein faces desperate danger from a land hungry madman when she tries to find out the truth behind her mother’s dying words …. promise me Jenna, promise you won’t sell the land ….When Gabe Callahan steps in to help … Jenna is wary of accepting his help, especially when she discovers he’s a property developer searching out land to develop a resort…. does he want her or the land she inherits… Jenna and Gabe’s story is told in  Shadow Dance …  is available on Amazon
In Book II … Ashlyn’s Bodyguard

Ashlyn Pritchard falls foul of a gang of International art thieves and in a nanosecond Jace Mullein chooses to face the family he betrayed … rather than have an innocent woman suffer a horrible death… he rescues her and takes her on a motorcycle ride through rugged, bush country like this… a journey she’ll remember until the day she dies. (this photo was taken through the car windscreen as it was too dangerous to stop for a photo op!)

You can read Jace and Ashlyn’s Story in Ashlyn’s Bodyguard  … available on  Amazon

In Book III The Farmer Takes A Wife ….

coromandel 039 Heath Mullein has always heard the old adage … take care what you wish for..  When his his boyhood sweetheart arrives on his doorstep in the middle of a storm … he thinks all his dreams have come true …until the man threatening Sarah Kreagan comes far too close and brings danger to his little corner of paradise …. Rata Ridge, the family’s beef and sheep Station overlooks a pristine beach like this one … Sarah and Heath’s story is told in The Farmer Takes A Wife … available now on Amazon

Tags: , , , ,

Published on Tuesday, February 4th, 2014, under Latest News

14 Responses to “When Research is Fun”

1. Nick Ritchie says:

NZ… You can’t beat the beautiful setting, that’s for sure!

• Shirley says:

Nick thanks for stopping by… we are blessed to live in New Zealand, it is a truly beautiful country. You’ll have to come across the ditch sometime and take a closer look.

2. Kungphoo says:

Wow i need to get there someday! thats cool that you purchased a caravan to get the research done!! thats great dedication!

• Shirley says:

Robert
      Thanks for stopping by… We have decided that in our golden years we are always aiming to combine work with a good dose of pleasure … our next trip is to Wellington and home through the Wairarapa and Hawkes Bay an area we haven’t visited for a while.

3. Krystle says:

Great post. Love the pics, it really sets the scene.

4. What a beautiful place, Shirley. Thanks for “taking me along.”

• Shirley says:

Cheryl
      Thanks for stopping by… I love the Coromandel it is such a land of contrasts…wild and rugged in the interior. That road where I took the photo is a hold-onto-your-seat one and it’s by no means the most winding one across the ranges…glad you enjoyed the ride.

5. Susanne Bellamy says:

Hi Shirley,

The Coromandel area is beautiful but you know, these photos just confirm what I already knew from reading your Mullein series! You really captured the beauty and transported me there. Looking forward to your next book. I’m a big fan!

• Shirley says:

Thank you so much Susanne … I hope you like my next series … Prodigal Sons … it’s set on the West Coast, and those seas are the wildest in out part of the world.

6. Zoe B says:

Thanks Shirley.

Visuals are so important to paint a picture!

🙂

• Shirley says:

Absolutely Zoe…
      I create a board for my novels and use it as a visual reference. Last week I needed to add to my knowledge of horses so went to the Karaka yearling sales…a great experience and one that will give a real authentic flavour to my next book … THE RETURN.

7. Beautiful! Traveling and enjoying gorgeous places is my kind of fun doing research!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Christa

• Shirley says:

Christa
      Thanks for stopping by…I echo your sentiments. Now I’ve got the travelling bug there’s no getting away from it. I just have to keep up with my writing at the same time.