Ten Things I love About Writing.
I got to thinking about this a couple of weeks ago. What is it about writing that keeps me at my keyboard? I’m not a great lover of lists but I’ll give it a go.
- Words….I love words. and when I come across a new one its treasure. I’ve worn out one dictionary an Oxford Illustrated and have a well thumbed second one.
- The cadence of the written word…the sound of words. Any parent who’s read to a child knows that books that sound great become favourites. Beatrix Potter and Dr Seuss are proof of this.
- The visual effect of words on a page…its so structural…white paper with squiggly lines people can read and enjoy.
- Writing give expression to the voices in my head. Not so sure what it says about my mental health when I not only talk to the imaginary people I write down their conversations!
- One great pleasure is watching a character grow and mature. I’m always surprised how characters develop quirks and foibles and how often a throwaway line will shape a character.
- Writing feeds my curiosity…my mother said it was a failing….but what ifs…are the spice of life.
- Writing lets me indulge in people watching. People fascinate me. I love sitting in a side walk cafe watching people…coffee optional.
- Writing feeds my imagination…fleshing out snatches of overheard conversations…some overheard gems are priceless…it’s great fun to continue such conversations through your characters.
- Writing gives me licence as an armchair psychologist, put characters through hoops, drop them in untenable situations and indulge my dark side.
- Last but not least writing give me immense satisfaction. Writing The End knowing you’ve created something readers will either love or hate.
Now I need to know what excites readers… please leave a comment
Published on Friday, September 23rd, 2011, under Writing Ten things lists